Opening a Business in Ladue
Welcome to the City of Ladue!
To begin, download the New Business packet by clicking here. All new businesses must complete the following steps prior to opening and operation in the City:
Opening a Business: Step by Step
- Complete and submit Zoning Application before you sign a lease. The City Planner will review your application to make sure the business you plan to open is a permitted use for the location you are considering. Your use may require a special use permit which must be approved by the Planning & Zoning Commission and by the Ladue City Council. We will assist you with this part of the process.
- Once your business has zoning approval, you may obtain permits for any Interior Remodeling, Signage, etc. If no permits are needed you will need to submit the Application for Occupancy and call the Building Department (314-997-6308) to schedule your Occupancy inspection. 48-hours advanced notice is needed.
- Submit appropriate Business License application and submit payment for license. Once all payment and paperwork is received you will be mailed your Business License. You may print your application from the list below.
- Retail Business License Application
- Service Business License Application
- Home Business License Application
- Financial Institution Business License Application
ALARM SYSTEM: If you are installing an alarm system or using an existing alarm system, a permit will be required.
EXTERIOR SIGNAGE: All signage requires a Sign Permit and must be reviewed by the City Planning Consultant. Applications must be submitted to the Ladue Building Office. This includes awnings with lettering or logo are considered a sign.
Business Licenses are to be renewed and paid each year. Notices of renewal are sent out in the first week of January for the applicable year and payment is due no later than March 1. Per ordinance, penalties of 1% per month will apply to all payments after March 1.
If you have not already done so, your business must be registered with the State of Missouri. You will be required to have a federal and state sales tax ID number for a retail business license. For more information you may visit https://dor.mo.gov/taxation/business/.
Food service businesses will need to provide proof of a satisfactory Health Department Inspection Report through St. Louis County Department of Health. https://stlouiscountymo.gov/st-louis-county-departments/public-health/food-and-restaurants/
Visit our Business License Renewal page.