- Use natural logs. However, if you use the artificial logs, be sure to follow the directions on the package.
- Check your fireplace and chimney often and keep them clean and in good repair.
- Always make sure that a good fire screen is in front of the fireplace.
- Keep the damper open so the draft will remove all smoke and gases when the fireplace is on.
- Keep the area near the fireplace clear of materials like papers, books, toys, etc. Everyone should know about the possibility of flying sparks from the fire and what to do about them.
- Make sure that the fire is completely out before going to bed or if you plan to leave the house.
- Do not stack artificial logs in the fireplace as you would real wood.
- Do not use your fireplace if it has loose bricks or needs to be cleaned.
- Do not burn charcoal, coal or plastic materials (wrap, cups, plates, etc.).
- Do not burn garbage in the fireplace.
- Do not ever use gasoline or other such liquid to start or help a fire to start.
- Do not allow small children near the fireplace.
- Do not leave a fire unattended